We’re gearing up for the Engineers Week in February 2012 and are looking for qualified students to apply for the $1000 student awards we’ll be giving out. Please send this around all the educators, engineering clubs and students you know. We need some applicants right away! Students who are undergraduate level as well as high school seniors should apply. Also please take a look at the attachements to see the weighting of scholarship application.
IEEE Santa Clara Valley(SCV) Section and its chapters are funding approximately 50% of the SVEC scholarships offered.
The Silicon Valley Engineering Council (SVEC) Engineering Education awards recognize young engineering and technology students for their dedication, focus, and commitment to engineering. Engineering and Technology students graduating from high school or currently enrolled in undergraduate community college or university programs are eligible to apply. Fulltime and part-time students are eligible. Students may receive an SVEC Scholarship award only once. Graduate students are not eligible.
While not all of these must be met by a successful applicant, it would be of advantage to the applicant if he/she can qualify most of the following criterion.
1) The applicant should be studying in bay area. The nine counties included in bay area are Alameda, Contra Costa, Marin, Napa, San Francisco, San Mateo, Santa Clara, Solano, and Sonoma.
2) The applicant’s program of study is directly focused on engineering or technology.
3) The applicant has shown involvement in professional and/or student activities (i.e. engineering societies)
4) The applicant has shown involvement in community and/or social services activities
5) The applicant has two letters of recommendations from faculty members. Each reference letter needed to be sealed in a separate envelope. The reference letters need to be signed on the letter as well as on the sealed envelope by the faculty member. Please include these 2 sealed envelopes along with rest of your application in one bigger envelope.
6) The student exhibits strong academic performance as shown by GPA in the major and overall, as well as strong recommendations from faculty advisors
7) A brief essay describing the student’s academic and professional goals is submitted for evaluation
Awardees will be notified through e-mail by 3ndweek in February 2012 and will be awarded at the SVEC Engineers Week Banquet on Friday, February 24, 2012. It is expected but not required that awardees attend the banquet. They will be guests of SVEC.
Submittal due date is February 8, 2012. Please see the attached file (ms word or pdf) for eligibility, application, and additional information. The scholarship application form can also be downloaded from the SVEC website:
We would appreciate if you make students aware of this SVEC Scholarship award opportunity. Please pass this along to educators, especially those with 12th graders!
If you would like to see the attachments from the email, then please let me know!